Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Book Review: Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys

Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys
Genre: Post Apocalyptic Fiction
Bob's Thoughts "A Must read for hardcore Post Apocalyptic Fans like myself, for everyone else, well, expect a flawed, uneven read."
Grade: B+ for PA fans, C for everyone else.
Out of Print (Check Abebooks for used copies.)
100 Books 100 Posts #3





"Some Will Not Die" is an extended and revised version of Algis Budrys first novel "False Night, a familiar story about the aftermath of a plague that kills off 90% of the countries population.

I am going to have a hard time reviewing this book. For me, I loved every moment of it. It is the classic, old school post apocalyptic tale that I love so much. The story in a nutshell goes like, there's a lone man in a decimated, he meets a women, they start a family, they meet another family, starting a group of friends, they meet other groups of friends starting a community, they join up with other communities and start a city, which join up with other cities to start a country, henceforth, society has begun again.

Of course, this is an oversimplification of the story. There are wars, politics, backstabbing, which builds up to a society formed on the carcus of the old, and yet just as corrupt. Told as interconnected short stories, Buldrys gives us a look not only at the immediate aftermath, but the society that forms a few generations past. All in all it is a grim look at humankind.

I was very happy to find the Kelly Frea version of this book. Kelly Freas is one of my favorite genre illustrators. I love the artwork in this book. I miss the days of illustrations in science fiction and fantasy books, and the modern covers that are understated. I always think science fiction and fantasy covers should be gawdy and unapologetically hokey. I includes some scans of the artwork, inside, and scans of the front cover. The quality isn't great, but, I think you get the picture.

Click on the Thumbnails for larger images.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments: